SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday, February 27, 2009

The Thing Is That....

Salam.

Ok, now I figured out the differences between INTEC and IMU.
After 4 days of watching, I know now.

I have been with government people for my whole life till 4 days back.

Government schools, INTEC UiTM, which consists mainly if not 99% of JPA scholars (I'll regard them as government people too).


I AM NOT TALKING ABT POLITICS. GOVERNMENT PPL HERE DOESNT MEAN PRO-GOVT i.e. UMNO OR MCA ETC.

So, when I stepped into IMU, it feels different.
Because this is a private education center.

I had a weird unexplainable feeling during my first few days.
Now the feeling is explainable.

One word, intimidated.
Well yes, perhaps it is embarrassing to admit but as I always like to say, (Atikah will know this) "Honesty is the best".

Intimidated

So yes, I'm intimidated.
Simply because of the fact that most of the students are there because they PAY.

PAY with their parents' money.
Which means they are well off people.

And I am there because of a scholarship by the government.
And that is what differs IMU from INTEC.

Back in INTEC, all of us are scholarship holders.
Nothing differentiates us.

Except maybe some of us are more well off than some.
But that was such a small issue.

Somehow I felt like the issue had successfully amplified itself here in IMU.
But I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get rid of this feeling soon, real soon perhaps.

So, I must always remember:
"A blessing is a test in disguise and a test is a blessing in disguise"
"Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and, above all, confidence in ourselves. We must believe we are gifted for something and that this thing, at whatever cost, must be attained" -Marie Curie
"I am there for a reason with a mission. So I should prove that I worth the reason and is able to accomplish the mission"

Ok, enough of boosting my confidence.

Though I really feel like doing more.

Eheh...

Back in INTEC, I always wear my Free Palestine badge.


Somehow, I did not have the courage to do so in IMU.

I'm afraid of the people's reaction towards it.

Muslims are the minority here.

The Exhibition That Opened My Heart

So I did not even once wear the badge in IMU until today, an exhibition caught my attention.
The exhibition was at the lobby.
It was on the attack on Gaza.
I felt so proud and surprised that there is actually an exhibition on it?






I felt bad at once for thinking that IMU students were ignorant about the attack.
Just how shallow-minded I was.

I went back home for lunch today, and I wore my badge for the first time in IMU.


Now

It is 1.00am 27th Feb 09.
The story i told in this post is now literally a yesterday's story.
I need to meet my group members at Bkt Jalil at 10am.

So I don't actually need to wake up early, which was the reason I woke up from bed to write this.

Today

Later today we'll have to go to The Pavilion, KL to complete yet another challenge for the orientation week.

We need to snap 3 pictures of our group members, the whole lot of it in front of 3 different specified shops in The Pavilion.

Then we'll have Indoor Treasure Hunt at 5.30pm, which I feel like not going.

p/s: To Atikah, Ain and Fatin. I really really miss you guys!!



3 comments :

  1. Akum.

    There is an expression:
    "All it takes for evil to flourish is for a few good men to stay quiet"

    It seems like you have just had such an experience. But, and here's the good news; all it took was a display by others in protesting against that evil, which encouraged you to join-up in stand with them against that evil.

    I lesson for life methinks.

    As for intimidation, which side do you feel? Extra privileged - a source of envy by others perhaps, because you have a scholarship, or 'lower down' because you don't(?) have the money to pay for a private education?

    What has happened to all your old acquaintances? Have they been split into different groups? What criteria was used to split you? - simple random groupings???

    My advice is do go for the treasure hunt. It may be a trivial exercise, but it has a purpose - to get you to associate with and meet new people. If you live at home, you may have less opportunity to get close to your peers in accommodation. As a Uni Student who stated at home (on the second Uni I went too) I experienced that. Actually, in some ways it was good, but for Malaysians and the fact that your ‘IMU stage’ is still so fresh, I think it's better you take the plunge.

    Advice is cheap and you should be completely free to ignore it if you think it's rubbish.

    ;)

    Salams from the similarly sleepless Global Observer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wkslm.
    Thx for the feedback!
    Really appreciate it.

    Well, it seems the expression is just exactly wat i had juz encountered.

    The intimidation side, it's the latter one.

    My old acquaintances, yes we were split. On random basis.
    So of us r lucky enough to get to be in the same group with fellow members.

    Well, thx for advising me to go for the treasure hunt.
    When i woke up this morning, i 95% decided not to go for it.
    I think i need to give it a second (oh no, perhaps a tenth) thought. Ahah..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thx a lot!
    I'll try to find what the links are all about.

    ReplyDelete