SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday, September 13, 2019

Freaking RM2000

Assalammualaikum.

I sent my Macbook Air 2017 to an Apple Service Centre about two weeks ago.
5 days lter, I received my quotation.
RM 2,240 for my screen replacement!
And an additional of RM100 for service charge.


The words on my mind: "Crazy! Crazy! Crazy!"
The Macbook isn't even 2 years yet. I found my original receipt. I bought it in Oct 2017, for RM 4,999.
The one-year warranty ended.
The girl at the service centre rubbed salt on my wound - "Tu la kak, kalau dulu akak amik Apple Care tu, warrranty cover sampai 3 tahun"

Felt like slapping her - I didn't expect a Macbook Air to last only 2 years.
I asked how could this happen? She said maybe because I always carry it in my bagpack and thus the inside shakes eventhough I have never dropped it.
But hey, if I do not need to always carry it, I might as well just buy a desktop!

So now I don't have a laptop.
I collected the Macbook Air from the store. Plan to send it to any laptop repairer, perhaps I could get a cheaper price from non-Appple technician which means I gotta go recce around The Mines or Lowyat. Any idea?
If the cost is too crazy, I might just sell this off and get a new one.

I still want a Macbook as already get very accustomed and comfortable with Macs.
The features are comprehensive and easy to use. There are a lot of things I can do with Macs, but will otherwise need a separate software in a Windows computer.
For example editing a PDF file. I can easily edit a PDF file using "Preview" in Mac.
You will need another software (I don't know what) to edit a PDF file in a Windows laptop.


I am kind of in love with the new Macbook Air 2019.
It has a Touch ID feature. And it is a lot lighter and smaller than my Macbook Air albeit the screen sizes are the same (13").
There is a lot of "excess" space in my 2017 Air where as they designed the 2019 to be "full screen", like most of the phones now.

The two main drawbacks to me are
1) Definitely the PRICE!
It cost RM5,349 for the Macbook Air alone! Without the 3 year Apple Care extended warranty.
If I want to pay in a 12-mth installments, I must buy the Apple Care which I think is close to RM2k.

2) It does not have a USB port.
Yes, to make the macbook the lighter and thinner, they sacrificed the USB ports - that is the port that most if not all pendrives and hard drives and printers and mice and keyboards connect to. They only have two USB-C ports - which is the type of port newer Android phones have.
Out of the two, one is for charging so there is only ONE vacant port left.

They are advertised as USB-C however the Canadian Stores advertised them as "Thunderbolt 3 port"
- Yes I checked the Canadian website in case it is cheaper to buy over there since my family's gonna visit Canada this year.
Upon further reading, Thunderbolt 3 is almost similar to USB-C apart from the speed they can provide ie a USB-C cable can connect to a Thunderbolt 3 port and vice versa however Thunderbolt 3 equipments will have a much faster speed when connected to a Thunderbolt 3 port.

To use conventional pendrives and printers and mice, we are advised to buy the adapters.
This is almost as stupid as removing the audio jack ports from the iPhone.

My exam is coming soon and I feel handicapped without my Macbook. But even to repair is expensive.
I am now occasionally using Akmal's laptop but he is also studying for his exam and need his laptop too.
I have a Samsung tab but then, a Macbook is always more comfortable to use.

Haiz.


-Because life is a test-

-AkMaR-
http://nur-akmar.blogspot.com

Post a Comment