SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday, September 24, 2020

My First Awake Fibre-Optic Intubation

Assalammualaikum!
I came home two days ago super thrilled! Can't even wait till we get to the diner before blurting everything out to Akmal once I got into the car. 

Excited sgt, belanja gmbr Captain Ri satu.

There was a patient scheduled for an emergency operation and he was 180kg!
He very likeyly has severe OSA based on his STOPBANG score and that itself is a big big risk for intubation and general anaesthesia.

Dr Rey was there and she decided for Awake FibreOptic Intubation (AFOI), I was actually manning the OR next door when I peeped into the OR at the right time and was offered to do the AFOI instead!
Non-anaesthesia trainee might not know this but awake fibre-optic intubation is a very important, advanced airway skills that we must have. I've observed it multiple times before but never did it myself. I've even paid hundreds of ringgits late last year for the Beyond Basic Airway course and already practised multiple times on mannequins but never on an awake human being. 

The procedure requires us to insert the endotracheal tube into the patient's airway while the patient is AWAKE and mildly sedated and instead of using laryngoscopes and our bare hands, we use a fibreoptic scope with camera attached. We insert the scope into the patient's nose or mouth (in my case, it was the nose) and manipulate the end of the scope to slide down the patient's throat, into the major airways until we see the carina ie where the trachea diverges into two. 

A random picture of AFOI I found on the Internet. A still cut of a [YouTube video]

I had my first CVL a few weeks before I left the hospital I completed my housemanship, my first CSE a few weeks after starting in this hospital and my first AFOI not long before I leave this hospital for my Masters study. Isn't this just great?

I wish I can master this AFOI skills soon. 
Masters life, please be nice to me. 

-Because life is a test-



Post a Comment